Wednesday 13 January 2010

2009 - Spring, Still Life, Snails and Stalking

Click on photographs for larger versions

Digital Photography School Forums inspired me to experiment with photographic still life in the spring. Their weekly assignment topic was wisdom, which I found quite inspiring, as it can be interpreted so many different ways.

Another hobby of mine is genealogy - finding out where I came from and understanding what my ancestors experienced helps to put things into perspective. I decided to focus on this as a source of wisdom, the wisdom of knowing where you came from, to construct a still life to photograph as my entry into the competition.

The photographs are of my two great grandfathers (although you can't really see at this size - click photographs for larger versions).


Genealogy


It was also around this time that I discovered my mums table was ultra reflective, and she also owns some quirky looking bits and bobs, so I thought I would take a few shots of this antique clock, and I quite liked the resulting reflections.

"Reflections of Time"

Refections of Time

I found this little fella in my garden, sliding along the now dead (I'm still upset. This was the down side of the snow/frost) red banana plant. My macro lens (a Tamron) was blurring the background beautifully, but it was all a mass of browns, and I wanted more contrast, so I propped some coloured card behind him.

Snail

Here's a stalking little cat on a hot tin roof!

Stalk

My Flickr

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pixie, This is Fredflyfisher from DPS... I'm loving your images. Really enjoyed looking over your blog. Keep it up!
    :)
    Fred

    ReplyDelete