Tuesday 12 January 2010

2009 - Winter - Snow, Frost, Graffiti and Kittens.

Click photographs for larger view

I was beginning to think it would never snow like it did when I was a kid - you know, enough to close your school and deep enough to build a snowman in - and then 2009 saw the return of some decent wintry weather.

It always makes me laugh how the most mundane things suddenly get photographed because they have a few inches of snow on them. Benches for example. Surely everyone at some point has taken a photograph of a bench covered in snow.

I was up in Shropshire staying with family, and the beautiful countryside a short walk away made it impossible not to grab my camera, pull on some fingerless gloves and go out and explore. It was the first time I had ventured out alone with a camera, and it's amazing how much more you take in when you aren't half focused on people around you.

Even graffiti on the railway bridge demanded my attention - normally it's just background noise.

Graffiti on the Railway

As I walked off the bridge, I was totally smitten by the frost on leaves by the side of the railway. I took this shot, which has astonished me with its popularity on flickr - 220+ favourites and increasing daily!

Orange Frost

I would love to show you the rest of the beautiful photographs I had taken that day... but I had a computer malfunction which resulted in the loss of all the other photographs I had taken that day. Including the bench photograph.

Frustration.

Even more annoyingly there was a thaw overnight, and I never got to retake the bench I had found, when it was all snowy and abandoned.

Not quite as atmospheric, but just as abandoned - here is my bench.

Bench

The thaw brought about some other photo opportunities though :

Seed Head

Granny's Little Angel

Birmingham provided more frosty scenes later that January, so I decided to take some photographs of someone elses garden:

Frosty Strawberries

Junk

I love the texture frost gives when you convert a photograph to black and white!



my flickr









No comments:

Post a Comment